Sunday, September 2, 2007

7 Things I'd Like to Do in My Lifetime

So, I'm approximately middle-age (we never REALLY know when middle age IS, until we're dead...if you live to be 110, you're not middle age until 55, right?)
Anyway, I've done quite a few things in my life, some I've enjoyed, others not so much. I would say I live a pretty ordinary, "boring" life, but when I really start to list some of the things I've done, there is at least an interesting variety (skydiving, biking the VA creeper trail, being held at gunpoint...like I said, they weren't all fun!).
But, there's still SO much I'd like to do--picking just seven could be hard, but these are, at least, the ones that come most easily to mind. This idea may just expand into a longer entry on another blog, so I can have a record of those things, and maybe actually start to DO them. Also, these are things that I COULD do, given the health and money to do them...in other words, they don't depend completely on someone else; I'd like to see both my kids marry good, godly women...but that's not something I get to personally choose (but I'm praying and God is watching for the right ones!!)

  1. Learn a foreign language well enough to be conversational in it--I took several years of Spanish, and can usually fumble my way through written Spanish and at least get the idea of what it says--but when someone for whom Spanish is a native language starts talking, I get totally lost!
  2. Learn to play a musical instrument--the main thing that hampers this is that I can't sing, I have no rhythm, and I can't read music. Our choir director once told me that very few people are truly tone-deaf; I told him MY problem is that I am NOT tone-deaf...I can HEAR that I'm singing off-key, out of tune, and out of rhythm, I just can't seem to fix it...anyway, I have managed to join the choir and learn to at least hold my own, and now I'd like to just learn to play something well enough for my entertainment...my preference would probably be guitar or dulcimer/autoharp.
  3. Visit a foreign country--my top picks for this would be Ireland (where my ancestors are from; we still have distant relatives there) or Jerusalem (I would just love to go to the Holy Land and see the places where Jesus actually walked around on the earth...but I think I would intensely dislike being shot at). I'd also like to go to Guatemala, which may be the first place I actually GET to, since our church sometimes goes there on mission trips, and my best friend's family is actually moving there pretty soon. I almost went there two years ago, but it didn't work out at the time, and since then I haven't really been able to travel because of a weird, unknown illness...
  4. Write a book--probably non-fiction, maybe about my life and how I have seen God work in it to "finish the work He started" in me.
  5. Go to the Super Bowl--I am a HUGE football fan, but I've actually never been to a professional football game at all, never mind the Super Bowl--stuff like that is just generally not in a single mom's budget, especially when she has TWO hungry teenage boys! Actually, I've only been to ONE college football game, even though I'm pretty much a fanatic about UT (that be the REAL T, Tennessee, not Texas...) AND I'm an alumnus!!
  6. Visit all 50 states--doesn't have to be all at once, just make it to every state in my lifetime. But, I'm only up to about 13, so I think I need to pick up the pace a bit!! I'm defining "visit" as not just being IN the state at some point, but actually going somewhere specific (besides the airport--I could add several more then) At my current rate, I'd be about 201 by the time I got to state #50...
  7. Memorize at least 10 verses from every book of the Bible--I'm not sure, but I think I probably know at least one verse from every book right now...I need to write down all the references so I can see if I'm missing any. I'm sure I know lots MORE than 10 from some books, but probably only one from quite a few.

I'd love to hear what others would put on their list!

No comments: