Thursday, November 22, 2007

Seven Things To Be Thankful For

Now, here's a hard list...naming just seven things to be thankful for. I could list 7,000 things and still not be anywhere near finished.
1. My Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ--the salvation I have because of Him, the blessings I have because of him, the gift of the Holy Spirit in my life.
2. The letter that I have from my Father that I get to read every day and remember how much He loves me...The Bible.
3. My family--I am the youngest of 5 "kids" (the oldest kid is now 56 years old...), and, while my Dad passed away almost 3 years ago, my mother is still here and in good health and we have LOADS of extended family...and we all enjoy each others' company. Today we had about 25 for Thanksgiving, not even that big a crowd for us.
4. My kids...I have two teenage boys, and they are just about the most awesome kids on the planet!
5. Health...though I have had some health struggles this year, still I am grateful that I can still get up and make it to work every day (well, MOST days), I can still take the stairs instead of the elevator, I can still take care of myself and my kids.
6. Books...I love to read, lots of different things, and I think we too often take for granted all the great literature we have at our disposal.
7. Music...although I can't sing well, I love music and I love to sing, and I am glad that we have a choir director that loves having even the untalented because he knows it's not about the quality of the choir voices, it's about the quality of the worship....
oh, and also: pie; clothes; a warm, cozy bed; laughter; FOOTBALL, basketball, soccer, baseball, and other sports; friends; teachers; American soldiers, past and present; missionaries; photography; computers (except when I get the BSOD, I'm hardly ever thankful for that); dishes and silverware (cause if I had to eat off the floor with my hands, well, I just don't know how grateful I'd really be about that); cats and dogs and marmosets and lemurs and tigers and giraffes and even monkeys, although NOT the evil flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz...I am definitely NOT thankful for them, because they scare the bejeebers out of me; VeggieTales; great movies, like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, the Sting, Citizen Kane, even "newer" ones like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc; COLORS (just think, God could've made everything in halftone, or only produced Web Safe colors, and THAT would be borrriinnngggg; feet and lips, because where would you be without those (except NOT feet touching lips, that's just GROSS); bananas, CHERRIES, and blackberries; spinach and artichokes, even if they're together (unless there's like, a whole artichoke in your spinach, don't think that would be very tasty); Diet Dr. Pepper, IBC Cherry Limeade; Fire; Lights (can you imagine still having to do everything by candlelight or lantern? although we would probably all get to bed earlier at night...), candy corn, potato chips, cell phones, except for when people call me and I don't want to talk right then, or when I WANT to call someone and the thing won't work, or when I get the bill for the stupid thing; my JOB and almost all of the people I work for (if you work with me and you're reading this, YOU figure out which ones I mean...); the awesome little toys that I always get in my stocking...

No comments: